Fw: lead waits

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:35:13 -0400

At 10:29 PM -0700 9/3/04, Horace Greeley wrote:
>>You now have a set of leveling weights, custom-tailored expressly
>>for that piano.
>
>Sorry.  I am not usually this direct, but this one really simply
>fails on its premise.  Rethink this a bit and it will be clear.
>
>Best.
>
>Horace

Forgive me as I think out loud, Horace. Variations in weight placed
on a capstan will vary the key height. In one set of leveling
weights, there may be minute variations among the weights (most
likely, under a gram at most). However once these are installed for a
key leveling session, their effect is a constant throughout the
session. They are standing in for the weight of the reps (and the
shanks/hammers on top of them) on the caps. Their weight can be
calculated: (BalanceWeight - FrontWeight)*KeyRatio.

The difference between a leveling weight and weight of action parts
on that note, as calculated above, will  show up as a  difference in
key height when read with the leveling weight and when read with the
top action back on. Most likely, the bigger player in this is the
weight of action parts.

We've all seen this happen: a nice key leveling after a session with
the weights looks bumpy as soon as the top action goes back on.
Certainly there may be other things at work here (maybe poor mating
between the action bracket feet and the keyframe action cleats), but
this one, however slight, is undeniable.

I do remember 20 years ago, Wil Snyder mention that he and David had
gotten an average of "action weight at the cap" so that they could
tune up a set of leveling weights.  I don' remember hearing that they
thought their time was well spent after having done it.

Yes, I'm probably putting to sharp a point on this. But it won't be
the first time on this list that a a point has been sharpen down to
the width of a couple of molecules of graphite, leaving room for the
next person to sharpen in further still.

I agree, Horace, as a hair worth splitting, this one fails to measure
up. Or do I miss your point?