Back rail and key leads

Paul Chick paulchick@myclearwave.net
Fri, 3 Sep 2004 19:11:09 -0500

List,

I have an AB Chase 9' grand action to get rebuilt.  Someone has changed the
backrail cloth and the frontrail punchings.  They are not original and I
don't think that either are the correct thickness.  They are correct in
relation to each other, but I don't think in relation to the action.  The
keys in this piano are tapered (longer in the base than in the treble) and
there is a ton of lead (as many as six leads) in each key.  The average down
weight is 30 grams and the average up weight is 16 grams.

I think I have two problems:

1)  The backrail cloth is not the right thickness, I think.  What is the
process for determining the correct thickness?  Does it make a difference if
the keys are tapered?

2)  I think there is too much lead in the keys.  I have to replace the
wippons and shanks and flanges.  That should reduce the friction in the
action.  Is it necessary to go with a hammer that is heavier than the
existing hammers or go with a hammer of the same weight and knock out a lead
or two from each key?

Another question:  How are these two problems related?

Paul Chick Jr.
Plainview, MN
Minnesota-North Iowa Chapter 551