OT do NOT upgrade win xp to sp2

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Thu, 2 Sep 2004 10:28:11 -0400

Hi Duane,

> Once you install Linux and get use to it, you can get for about only $99
> a product called Win4Lin from www.netraverse.com or www.win4lin.com. I'm
> already using this product and works great. The only thing that - I -
> found that will not run is Cybertuner - it needs direct access to the
> hardware. Anyway, all you need is a licensed copy of Win 95/98/ME (XP
> not supported yet) and the install CD. It literally installs Win on
> Linux and uses the native Linux file system to access files. Is runs
> just like any other Linux application in a window except it is really
> "booting and running" windows in that virtual environment.

Thanks, but wouldn't that leave you vulnerable to the same viruses and
hacking threats?  Well, I guess you're saying to run Linux and Windows in
the same box, with all the Linux stuff surfing the Internet and Windows
"grounded" for bad behavior.  Right?  I guess that would help a bit, but
these older  Win environments just aren't suitable.  ME is a HORRIBLE
operating system -- extremely unstable.  Win 95 wasn't so good either, and
is really, REALLY old.  Win 98 was pretty good, but it's approaching antique
status as well.

I'd rather just run a separate box and have better, more modern operating
systems running in their native environment -- and save the $99 (which would
buy me an old, used box anyway -- probably Celeron generation).  ;-)  As
long as I have a separate machine for the Internet, it's really no biggie if
it gets nuked.  I could run Linux or Windoze.  Makes no difference.  A
complete system reinstall would take me only an hour or so, while I'm
sitting at my primary machine doing photoediting or something.  I could set
up my email files for periodic automatic backup.  Beyond that, everything
could get wiped from the computer, and I wouldn't get too worked up about
it.

Peace,
Sarah