new tool

James Grebe pianoman@accessus.net
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 18:49:44 -0500

I have been toying with the idea of using an air brush to impart lacquer to
the caster cups that I create.  I had even sent for the instructional video
from one of the woodworking catalogues.  It seems the cheapest basic unit
runs around $50.000.  I would have liked to try one out but thought that was
too steep a price just to try something.  Then I got my latest Harbor
Freight sales brochure.  In it they have their own brand of air brush on
sale for $4.99.  I could not resist.  My concern was that I would have to
thin the lacquer too thin to make it useful.  I was also concerned about my
WB lacquer corroding the insides of the little gun.  As it turns out the
parts are of stainless steel and brass, along with the plastic.  I tried
first spraying plain water , using my regular air compressor at around
15-20# pressure.  It seemed to spray just fine.  I then put my regular
Min-Wax clear gloss WB , straight from the can, in the little 2 oz jar and
it seemed to spray it just fine also.  I have been building up the finish on
1 caster cup to give me an idea of how useful it may be.  So far I am
impressed.  I make sure to clean the sprayer out with clear water after the
lacquer and the whole thing seems to be just fine.  I went back and bought 2
more units so I would have spare parts.  At $5 a pop, hard to lose.  It
appears that it would be good for minor touch up work or tinting or just
small places or things to finish.  The pressure is not critical as I do not
even have a pressure regulator on my compressor, just a volume control and
judging the pressure by feel.
Any one else using one of these little tools and if so, in what capacity?
James Grebe
Piano-Forte Tuning & Repair
Artisan of Wood
WWW.JamesGrebe.com