WHere's Waldo (was Big hammers)

Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:14:44 -0500

At 07:49 9/1/2004 -0700, you wrote:
>Speaking for myself, I looked at the picture and noted the coloring and
>shape and size of the hammers, admired the hammer line, saw with a frown the
>jack was not nicely positioned under the knuckle, noted that the flash had a
>reflection on many but not all the drop screws, admired the jack's
>regulating button, and went on; then read Ric's comment, went BACK to the
>picture, studied those pixels of the knuckle core, thought "Omigod, Ric
>analyzed the action geometry," noted that the knuckle core seemed to have an
>angle in it as if it had been broken?
>
>Where's Waldo is a good analogy. We should analyze photos more - a form of
>puzzler.
>
>||  |||  ||  |||  ||  |||  ||  |||  ||  |||  ||  |||  ||  |||  ||  |||
>jason kanter . piano tuning/regulation/repair

It's not just with pictures.

Call it non-destructive testing, looking before you leap, triage,
is-this-a-recoverable-change, or is this _really_ the problem. Analyzing
always helps.

When I've taught tuning, I've tried to make the student tell me _before
they touch the pin_ which direction they should go to correct the
temperament or interval.

I joked about my do-it-yourselfer customer gluing the jack to the
hammerbutt to correct a wobbly hammer, but I think we've all come across
repairs which made us ponder, "what _were_ they thinking?". [or, What! Were
they thinking??]

Careful and knowledgable analysis would have prevented a LOT of creative
"repairs".

Using your brain does NOT wear it out!
«mine may be an exception...»

Conrad Hoffsommer - Music Technician
Vox-(563)-387-1204 // Fax (563)-387-1076

The shortest distance between two points is under construction.