Over sharp treble

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:32:21 -0500

Yes, how I usually approach the octaves is similar, checking it with the
double-octaves for a 1 bps waver, and then when I am done, I go through and
play all the octaves across the keyboard for each note, confirming the
musicality of the high treble.

I would be SO LOST without the planner/contact/calendar on my Palm, even
though the poor thing is a dinosaur.

Ilex,

I find the treble too sharp on many pianos where I'm following up another
tuner--myself included!  Many of the pianos I tune are new, and very
susceptible to environmental change, and change from pitch raising or
lowering. And then there are those that I tune where the previous tuner was
older, a known imbiber of spirits(which also denigrates high-end hearing),
or a lead guitarist in a heavy metal band.

For me, the best way I've found to get appropriate stretch in the right-hand
side of the piano is to tune the 5ths and 12ths as perfect as possible
without making octave and double octaves too wide.  To my ears, it is a very
natural sounding stretch that often--though not always--agrees with my etd.
As per another thread, the musicality of this is very dependent on the
voicing of the hammers.

I would highly recommend getting a pocket pc based etd.  I've found that I
use the calendar and contact features as much as Tunelab.  Just be sure to
have everything backed up.  DAMHIK.

Dave Stahl