Over sharp treble

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 01:18:11 EST

In a message dated 10/30/04 9:25:10 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
sec@overspianos.com.au writes:

> >> point. How about you?

Ilex,

I find the treble too sharp on many pianos where I'm following up another
tuner--myself included!  Many of the pianos I tune are new, and very susceptible
to environmental change, and change from pitch raising or lowering. And then
there are those that I tune where the previous tuner was older, a known imbiber
of spirits(which also denigrates high-end hearing), or a lead guitarist in a
heavy metal band.

For me, the best way I've found to get appropriate stretch in the right-hand
side of the piano is to tune the 5ths and 12ths as perfect as possible without
making octave and double octaves too wide.  To my ears, it is a very natural
sounding stretch that often--though not always--agrees with my etd.  As per
another thread, the musicality of this is very dependent on the voicing of the
hammers.

I would highly recommend getting a pocket pc based etd.  I've found that I
use the calendar and contact features as much as Tunelab.  Just be sure to have
everything backed up.  DAMHIK.

Dave Stahl