Over sharp treble

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sun, 31 Oct 2004 15:24:47 +1000

>PIANO TOPIC -

>Why do I often find myself correcting over-sharp high treble on pianos
>someone else has tuned? I know by the time you get to the last 1-2
>octaves, they're going to be sharpish if you've correctly stretched your
>octaves, but even so, I'm still bringing it down. Is the high treble more
>inclined to go super-sharp with humidity due to the short scale, or am I
>legitimately cleaning up after over-compensation?
>How do you aural tuners out there make out your octaves in that highest
>treble zone? Can you describe what you're hearing? I know that for me, I
>am listening with a tuner's ear and checking with a musician's ear at that
>point. How about you?

Several years ago when I was tuning for a lot of professional
musicians, I noticed that the hearing trauma level of clients is
proportional to their desire for more treble stretch (symptoms which
give away the level of someone's trauma level include - can't hear
conversation at parties - client requests voicing levels which are
unusually bright - can't tune with a vacuum cleaner going in the same
room -  can't tune with air conditioning background noise).

Similarly, I've noticed that many senior technicians tune the high
treble way high. One 'tuner', who has thankfully since retired, was
quite fond of pulling top C up to the E fl above. As our hearing
rolls off as we age, we prefer the treble stretch to be wider. I
don't know why, but its a conclusion I've drawn, tuning from 22 years
of age to 51.

Speaking of deteriorating faculties, just as an aside.

In my home town out west from Sydney 350 miles, an elderly (80+) man
visited the local GP recently and complained about his aches and
pains and the difficulty he was having pushing the lawn mower. The
young GP, who is well known for her sense of humour replied, "don't
complain ****, most blokes your age are pushing up daisies not
cutting them off".

Ron O.
--