Used piano market

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 09:51:18 -0700 (PDT)

Dear Jim,
     The used piano market here basically stinks. One
fellow in Atlanta has the Steinway and Mason
rebuild/sales market pretty well sewn up for the whole
region, and he is doing well. Like you, I suspect, I
have many very finely crafted uprights sitting in
storage which will probably rot or go to the dump
before anyone wants them.
     Why? Electric keyboards have taken away the
market for "starter" pianos, which is what peoipole
generally see uprights as. Also: few people have ever
seen what a carefully restored "no-name" upright or
grand can do, so they buy cheapo, lighlty built modern
junk instead. And with the importation of nice clean
odor free cheap stuff from Commie China, who can
compete? I know of a few people who sell fine old
American pianos, nicely rebuilt, and get decent money
for them. But these folks have fancy showrooms in
which to present them, and cater to customers who
hasve plenty of cash and are not interested in driving
all over town to shop.
     Thump