Tuning and Zen

antares antares@euronet.nl
Sat, 30 Oct 2004 12:52:05 +0200

On 29-okt-04, at 22:28, Quentin Codevelle wrote:

> Yes,
> =A0
> but Andre told us that the firm blow was exciting the higher partials.
> It seems that=A0we can't tune=A0"including" lower partials if=A0we =
tune with=20
> firm blows.
> Listening with soft blows won't change the facts that only the higher=20=

> partials have been excited during the tuning process!
> =A0
> Am I wrong? Did I understand something wrong?
> =A0
> Quentin

to Quentin, Jenneetah, William, and list,

sigh... I tried so hard..
(; >))

What I tried to tell here, is that in my experience a tone sounds=20
better if you strike less hard, thereby putting the emphasis on the=20
lower partials.

quote from an earlier mail :

I have tested this partial stuff myself with the aid of the spectrum=20
analysis, built within my VT. The VT works up to, I think, A5 with 8=20
partials, then with 4. 2 and 1 partial.
If you strike very hard, we see that the emphasis lies indeed much=20
stronger on the higher partials. Where the lowest partials react less=20
strongly, the highest partials visibly react much more.
But there is another phenomenon at hand here : if you strike really=20
hard, the tone gets distorted and so does your hearing. With a really=20
hard bang, there is a tendency for the higher partials to overrule,=20
probably in combination with other physical factors I am not familiar=20
with.
It may also be that our ears react in a much different way then we=20
think to a violent sound.

unquote

so of course, with a softer blow, you will hear both higher partials=20
and lower partials, but the lower partials will rule.
I, and others, also told here that it is not necessary to use that much=20=

force if your tuning technique has been perfected, so, that you are=20
able to tune 1 cent up or down (as far as possible with a given=20
instrument)..

If that's the case you have mastered the most difficult issue in=20
tuning, manipulating dem pins in the most economical way possible,=20
resulting in doing far less with maximum result and thereby creating a=20=

satisfying tone.
This Zen-like way of thinking - to achieve the most by doing the least=20=

- is, in my personal opinion, the very best way to get old in a=20
pleasant way.

EAR

friendly greetings
from