re. OT Political

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 22:42:59 -0400

Hi Elwood,

>I feel the same way about President Bush as Sarah does about Kerry.  =
Does that mean I'm unpatiotic?

Why would it mean that?  I don't understand.

You are correct that it is patriotic for you to speak out, even though I =
don't agree with your point of view, and take issue with many points of =
your history over the past 4 years.  I'll credit you with being better =
informed with Larry, who apparently didn't hear about the huge STOCK =
MARKET CRASH that wiped out a large chunk of my investment portfolio.  I =
bet even Fox News covered that one!

Frankly, I'd like to get past this "label" debate.  Perhaps I'm simply =
getting kinda queazy speaking Republicanese.  To put this into =
perspective, the United Parcel Service (UPS) has a trademark on the =
color brown.  (No, I'm not kidding, and it's a sore temptation to talk =
about trademark infringements by bulls here -- at least when they're not =
consuming green grass.)  Similarly, the Republican party thinks it has =
trademarks on the terms "patriot," "conservative," "American," "family," =
and "values."  It has laid claim to those terms and has contorted them =
until they've lost all meaning.  I hate that!  I believe all those terms =
apply to *me*, a fiscally conservative, socially liberal, American =
patriot who values her family greatly, but I cannot in good conscience =
support most of what the Republican party is about.

Over the past 25 years or so, the Republican and Democratic parties have =
changed direction.  Republicans are now socially regressive, not =
socially conservative.  To be socially conservative would be to preserve =
the status quo, but now the party is trying to dismantle the provisions =
of our Constitution that our founders felt were so important -- =
regressive, IMO.  The Democrats, on the other hand, have a long history =
of being socially progressive (a.k.a. liberal), trying to expand civil =
rights, but now they are trying to maintain the status quo (i.e. =
conservative).  Some are have even joined Republicans in their =
regressive bent.   On the financial front, Democrats are the new =
champions of fiscal conservatism, doing responsible things like trying =
to balance the budget and save for the future.  Republicans, on the =
other hand, have become fiscally irresponsible -- not "conservative" or =
"liberal," but just plain irresponsible!  If the Republican party were a =
person, we would take away its credit cards and refer it to debt =
management counseling.  So strangely enough, the Democrats have become =
the new conservatives on the block, both socially and fiscally.  Weird, =
eh?  I really miss the days that Democrats were idealistic and could =
proudly proclaim they were Liberal (with a capital "L").

My point?  The same tired ol' terminology doesn't apply anymore.  So =
can't we stop throwing around all these dumb labels?   We're all =
patriots here, OK?  If we are passionate enough to argue these points, =
certainly we care about our country.

As far as I'm concerned, that's my wind-up -- unless someone really =
pisses me off by continuing to rag on Kerry's patriotism (or alleged =
lack thereof).

Peace -- and Joy! back at'cha ;-)
Sarah