OT Political

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:49:54 -0400

Larry,

I appreciate your engaging me and the list in intelligent discussion, =
rather than childish name calling.  I also appreciate that you are =
arguing what your heart apparently tells you is the right thing.  That =
is your patriotic duty, as it is my patriotic duty to argue my point of =
view.

However, I must respectfully disagree with what you have said.  In a =
nutshell, I understand you to have made the following points:

Point 1:  You defended that our government, once founded, was perfect =
the way it is, with whatever policies it might institute, and so there =
is no room for discussion of any alternative course that we might take.  =
If this is true, then why do we have elections?  Why did our framers =
think it was necessary to have a "civil revolution" every 4 years?  Why =
did our framers feel it was important to write into our Constitution a =
process by which the Constitution could be amended?  Why did our framers =
feel it was important to have a system of checks and balances, so that =
the Congress could pass new bills, but the president had to sign them =
into law, but if he vetoed the bill, the Congress could override his =
veto with a sufficient majority, but ultimately the Supreme Court could =
interpret those laws and, if appropriate, repeal them?  Why did our =
framers intentionally design a process by which our government could =
evolve and perhaps even re-invent itself as needs arose?  Were they =
stupid?

Point 2:  You argued that those who dissent with the government are =
unpatriotic and un-American, and that they are "enemies from within."  =
But then why does our governmental process encourage debate?  Why do we =
have free speech (or more accurately, why DID we have it)?  Shouldn't =
those who protest the government be arrested and jailed as enemies of =
the state?  What about our lawmakers?  Before any bill comes to a vote, =
it is debated *passionately* by Senators and Representatives from both =
sides of the issue.  You would argue, I think, that one side is wrong =
and that the other side is right.  A more reasoned and humble =
perspective would be that people of good conscience can legitimately =
disagree on an issue and that there is often no "absolute" right or =
wrong.  However, ultimately a decision is made.  A vote is cast, and one =
side loses, thereby officially becoming the "wrong" side.  What would =
you say of those dissenting lawmakers?  Would you say they are traitors? =
 Enemies from within?  If so, they should be arrested and jailed -- =
convicted and never allowed to serve in public office again.  Yes, =
*that* would quash dissent, wouldn't it?!  And what of the Supreme Court =
justices who meticulously document their dissent with the government by =
writing elaborate dissenting opinions?  Are they traitors?  Enemies of =
the state?  Or does it depend on whether they are "right" or "wrong" by =
your way of thinking?  Can you think of any Supreme Court decision that =
didn't go as you would have liked it?  Well, then the dissenting =
opinion, defending *your* point of view, would be considered treasonous, =
and the justice who wrote it should be thrown into jail.  Right?  Would =
that be fair, in your view?

Beyond that, we have points of agreement and disagreement:

You wrote:
> Patriots are also those who stand and ring the bell of freedom for the =
oppressed in Iraq, and who ring the bell of warning that a traitor is on =
the verge of being elected president.=20

Absolutely, and you are to be commended for that, if you truly believe =
John Kerry is a traitor.

And patriots are also the people like me who ring the alarm bell when =
they feel an illegitimate president, never democratically elected, is =
possibly on the verge of another coup d'etat, further endangering this =
country for the sake of personal gain.  That is my most sincere belief, =
and that is why I take the time to argue with you over this issue.  That =
is why I go ON RECORD with the odious Department of Fatherland Defense, =
and that is why I risk being interrogated by scary men in dark suits, =
just like a friend of mine was for making an off-color joke about Mr. =
Bush.

You wrote:
> And it is equally UNpatriotic to not speak up against those who are =
too shortsighted to see the wolf at the door.

Absolutely!  You and I are both doing the right thing, here.  We both =
see danger, and we are both discussing it openly.  We simply don't agree =
on what the danger is.

I wrote:
>>It is UNpatriotic to accuse a person of being UNpatriotic or =
UN-American for doing whatever his heart of hearts -- his deepest =
conscience -- tells him is the right thing to do.  It is UNpatriotic to =
accuse someone of being anti-American, just because he doesn't conform =
to your point of view.  (How DARE you?!)

To which your responded
> But is that not what you're attempting to do now? I'll tell you how I =
"dare", sister. *My* heart of hearts, *my* deepest conscience, tells me =
that a man who came back from Vietnam and trashed his fellow soldiers =
with lies and half truths for his own political ambitions is a traitor.

Then you are not being unpatriotic, if you truly think Kerry was =
"trashing" his fellow soldiers and being a "traitor."

However, if you consider young Mr. Kerry's testimony with any depth, you =
would realize that his quarrel was not with the soldiers who put their =
lives on the line for their country.  Indeed, he had and still has the =
deepest respect for our soldiers.  No, his quarrel was with the =
government that was exploiting these young men for economic reasons, =
fighting a war inhumanely in an arena where it did not belong. =20

Although Mr. Kerry has not made any statements on the matter, to the =
best of my knowledge, I don't think he would be too critical of Ms. =
England, who was front and center in the sexual humiliation/torture of =
Iraqi prisoners.  She was following orders.  Rather, he would criticize =
the chain of command that ordered her to do it.  Personally, I would =
hope that our young people have the decency and common sense to defy =
orders when they are wrong, even if that means going to prison, but =
realistically, most soldiers don't think they have any choice in the =
matter.

You have levied many criticisms against Mr. Kerry for his past policies. =
 However, those criticisms can be summarized by saying you did not agree =
with the man.  I think you believe that any *true* American -- any =
*true* patriot -- should agree with you, hook, line, and sinker.  Right? =
 Everyone else is a traitor?  Do I understand you correctly?

Finally, you have personally belittled Mr. Kerry at great length.  You =
will notice that I have largely refrained from belittling Mr. Bush.  Is =
it because I respect him?  Absolutely not.  Even though I detested =
Nixon, I thought he had one or two good traits.  Even though I hated =
Reagan's policies, I found him rather "likable."  Even though I =
disagreed with George HW Bush (i.e. the father), I respected him.  =
George W Bush is the first president in my lifetime for whom I cannot =
muster a single charitable word, except to say that I like his parents.  =
However, I will not stoop to call him a traitor or un-American.  He is a =
part of this political process, whether I like it or not.  He has a =
right, and even a duty to run for office, even though I pray we won't =
have to suffer through another 4 years under his leadership.  I think =
the harm done internally to our system of government could possibly be =
irreparable within our lifetimes and could even start us down a long =
road towards revolution.  What government will our children and =
grandchildren ultimately have?  We cannot assume that it will be a =
democracy or that it will even be benevolent.  Our government has its =
problems, but it's a pretty sturdy and benevolent one.  Let's hope it =
will continue, and let's hope our citizens are wise enough to elect =
leaders who do not use the Constitution as toilet paper.

Yours in hope and patriotism,
Sarah