OT Political - {my last word}

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:12:46 -0700

What utter bull****!   "I've been hearing..."....RUMORMONGERING! =

David Ilvedson

From: <Erwinspiano@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: OT Political - {my last word}

        Conrad
  Thanks for the unusually political post. It's always more=
 personal when you & others especially Military folks  are on the=
 recieving end of the kinds of actions & words  being discussed=
 here in regards to J.F.Kerry.
   I've been hearing that his picture is in the Vietnamese Museum=
 as a hero so I guess they like him for being a patriot there as=
 well as some do here.
  Thanks for your service to this country.
  Dale
At 17:38 10/28/2004, you wrote:
>If you know something about John Kerry being a traitor you=
 should report
>him--and soon.  He may be elected President.  It is a crime,=
 afterall,
>and I'm sure Mr. Ashcroft would want to look at your hard=
 evidence.
>Don't hold back, Carl, do your duty.  Withholding evidence of=
 capital
>crime might just be a crime itself--especially one as serious=
 as
>treason.
>
>David Love
>davidlovepianos@comcast.net

David,

Speaking out politically is WAY different than my norm, and the=
 way this
eternal campaign has polarised the country will probably lose me=
 some
friends on this list, but I feel I must - please indulge me this=
 last time.

I'm not Carl, but _I_ do not need to check websites to determine=
 Kerry's
culpability, but I may dig into my old seabag, pull out my=
 Bluejacket's
Manual and rely on my first hand experience of the effects of=
 Kerry.

If you really still trust websites at this point, perhaps you=
 should
re-read Kerry's own words during his Senate testimony, and also=
 afterwards,
where he admits participating in the same atrocities which he=
 said were
happening.  Or... did he say he was just reporting what other=
 vets had told
him.  Oh... that's right... he said both.  Which version was=
 purgery?

Since I was in the area at the time (Tonkin Gulf) and in the same=

organization (US Navy '67-'73) and trying to live under the same=
 rules
(UCMJ) [Uniform Code of Military Justice], let me try to help you=
 with you
some of the military rules with regard to his traitorous=
 activities.

Whilst Kerry was still a commissioned officer and ostensibly=
 bound by the
UCMJ, he visited with members of the Viet Cong in Paris.  How a=
 Lieutenant
(Paygrade O-2or3 -- i.e. next to the bottom of officer ranks=
 since Ensign
was routinely skipped)  thought he could effect peace, who knows?=
 However,
there is a term called "consorting with the enemy".  In a war,=
 the idea
generally is that, if you meet an enemy, you do all you can to=
 kill him.
It's brutal, but that IS what war IS. {Note to Bill Clinton -=
 there's that
word again}  As an officer, it is your sworn DUTY to do that and=
 lead
others to do the same. You don't generally sit down to croissants=
 and
caviar with the enemy unless you are a general, admiral or head=
 of
state.  Money talks, I suppose, as Saddam knew in his dealings=
 with the
same multiple UN members which Kerry thinks he'd get as allies.

I recall several times in my military career having these things=
 drilled
into my head, so I don't need to consult a website to tell me=
 that, if I as
a 2nd class petty officer (only E-5 or middle of non-commissioned=
 officers,
having turned down E-6 opportunities to return to civilian life)=
 had done
the same thing, I would still be in Fort Leavenworth for it, if=
 not in an
unmarked grave.

How good was he for the morale of troops/sailors in those years? =
 He
certainly didn't make any points with me or my shipmates.  In the=
 spring of
1970, when my ship got back from it's tour of duty in the war=
 zone - with
_IT'S_ current mission accomplished and signs celebrating that=
 fact - I did
a lot of traveling around southern and, later, northern=
 California.  I went
to concerts at Dorothy Chandler Pavilion (free or at a discount),=

hitchhiked, went to movies and church and got invited into=
 strangers homes
for home cooked meals, even got some dates after those meals. =
 ALL WHILE IN
UNIFORM.

In the fall of 1972, when I got back from my second WestPac=
 "cruise",
sailors were, by that time, again allowed to grow beards and have=
 (even
encouraged to have) civilian clothes onboard and allowed (even=
 encouraged)
to go on "liberty" in civvies.    WHY?  Because, by then, people=
 were
shouting the "baby killer' and other phrases which Kerry had made=
 so
popular in 1971.

Being IN DANGER while wearing your uniform IN YOUR OWN COUNTRY is=
 NOT good
for morale!  Having a long hair wig to escape military haircut=
 detection,
and getting spat upon for defending your country is NOT good for=
 morale (I
did and I was)!   _Trust me_,   not some New York Times/CBS=
 fabrifacts.  It
took me 20 years before I felt comfortable even joining the VFW. =
 I lay
that sputum in my face directly on Kerry's doorstep. His=
 statements were
not a little over the top.  They were slanderous and=
 self-incriminating, if
you could believe any of them.  They were certainly demoralising,=
 and a
comfort to the enemy, whether true or not.

The soldiers/sailors/marines in Iraq do NOT want a POTUS/CIC=
 (President of
the US /Commander in Chief) who is against what they are doing in=
 the first
place.  Kerry would have the same benefit to military morale in=
 2005 as he
did in 1971.

Voting to approve military action and then voting against support=
 for the
same action does not instill a feeling of comfort among those who=
 depend on
that support for their lives, either.

My 10=A2.

Conrad Hoffsommer
-Former Machinist's Mate 2nd Class - USN
-Nuclear power plant operator aboard USS Long Beach (CGN-9)=
 1970-73

Yup, it's personal.

over and out.