Perfect Pitch

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 10:13:48 -0700

Keith Jarrett, whom I admire greatly aside from this story, apparently
maintains that he has perfect pitch. He tunes his own harpsichord to a
historic temperament. There's an interview with him that includes this

A car horn honked outside his Parisian hotel room. It was either stuck or
the honker was off his rocker. Jarrett has perfect pitch; it hurt. Closing
the window, he said: "Okay, it's an A. Actually it's a very flat A. Like a
Werckmeister Three."

>From the rest of the story, it is clear that the writer doesn't understand a
lot of what he's writing about, so I'm not at all sure what Jarrett thinks
or hears. The quote, however, implies that the pitch of the A can not only
be identified as sharp or flat, but can also be attributed to a certain
temperament. The latter is not possible without hearing at least some
thirds. I suspect he had worked with a harpsichord set to A-415 and tuned in
Weckmeister III, and the car horn triggered a sense memory.

from http://www.culturekiosque.com/jazz/miles/rhemile13.htm
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of lgulli2586
  Sent: Friday, October 29, 2004 8:57 AM
  To: Pianotech
  Subject: Perfect Pitch

  What about those who bang on a note after you tune, then announce this
note is flat.....they have not played a chord or a scale just that note. I
find it very interesting first, that they never say a note is sharp. They
dont compare it to anything.
  I was told once that perfect pitch was the ability to name a note when
several are played without looking. tell you what triad etc etc....However
being  able to determine a notes flatness or sharpness within 15% would be
good....are we talking about randomly slecting any note on a piano, and make
this determination. I would be impressed...but I have my doubts this is what
we are talking about.

  Richard, Canada