Cracked Lid

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4@earthlink.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 08:04:20 -0500

  Subject: Re: Cracked Lid

  In a message dated 10/28/2004 4:47:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
pianoman@accessus.net writes:
     Jim
   I'm currently working o 20s D lid that has one hairline crack along a
tongue & groove joint on the tail. This lid is very wash boardy & we've
sanded it cross grain a fair bit to level it out. I'll repair the crack. As
far as stress on long panels I don't agree, as most have multiple cross
braces & also the lids of concert grand's & other with longer lids are more
likely to be closed than open. Know what I mean?
    Also a hairline crack though not visible initially will show up right
thru the finish, usually about the time you want to deliver it.
   Dale Erwin
    On long grands where the lid has been kept mostly in the up position you
can
    imagine the stress, over the years it put on the glue joints on the long
    core panels glued together for the lid with only support on one end and
the
    other just kind of hanging out there.  It is a wonder that we do not
seem
    more of this in anything over 6'.  I do not know if they used any
special
    types of joint between the boards or if they were all just edge glued.
Any
    one tore one apart to see.?
    Jim
  Dale

  Good thoughts.
  I think the problem with this particular lid (the Steinway I've mentioned)
is the lack of cross banding.  I' ve seen this omition before when I did a
lot of furniture repair in another life.  Also, the oak core tends to move
more, ends being the worst.

  Paul C