Cracked Lid

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:13:50 EDT

In a message dated 10/28/2004 4:47:40 AM Pacific Standard Time,
pianoman@accessus.net writes:
   Jim
 I'm currently working o 20s D lid that has one hairline crack along a
tongue & groove joint on the tail. This lid is very wash boardy & we've  sanded it
cross grain a fair bit to level it out. I'll repair the crack. As far  as
stress on long panels I don't agree, as most have multiple cross braces &  also
the lids of concert grand's & other with longer lids are more  likely to be
closed than open. Know what I mean?
  Also a hairline crack though not visible initially will show up  right thru
the finish, usually about the time you want to deliver it.
 Dale Erwin

On long  grands where the lid has been kept mostly in the up position you can

imagine the stress, over the years it put on the glue joints on the long
core panels glued together for the lid with only support on one end and  the
other just kind of hanging out there.  It is a wonder that we do  not seem
more of this in anything over 6'.  I do not know if they  used any special
types of joint between the boards or if they were all  just edge glued.  Any
one tore one apart to  see.?
Jim

Erwins Pianos  Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.
Modesto, Ca 95357
209-577-8397
Rebuilt  Steinway , Mason &Hamlin  Sales
www.Erwinspiano.com