Perfect Pitch

Dave Nereson davner@kaosol.net
Fri, 29 Oct 2004 01:01:11 -0600

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Garrett" <joegarrett@earthlink.net>
To: "pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 9:35 PM
Subject: Re: Perfect Pitch

 > Matthew,
> The piano is NOT TUNED PERFECTLY! IMO, anyone who espouses to have perfect
> pitch, actually does not, otherwise they could not stand to listen to
> tempered intervals.

    Why would tempered intervals bother someone with "perfect pitch" (very
good pitch recognition)?  Some people are very adept at being able to tap
their finger or foot once per second, i.e., after 60 taps, they've marked
off almost exactly one minute (they're probably never exactly "dead nuts
on").  Others may have a propensity to be able to recognize when two marks
on a piece of paper are exactly one inch apart.  And others may be able to
see or feel when a piece of material is exactly .035" thick.  But none of
these people are bothered when in everyday life they:  hear things clicking
at intervals other than exact seconds;  or see things marked off at
other-than-exact one-inch intervals; or see or feel pieces of material that
aren't .035" thick.
    I happen to have what my piano teacher and cello teacher called "perfect
pitch," but what I, as a piano tuner, would call only "very good pitch
recognition."  I'm never "dead on," just "very close" most of the time.  But
it doesn't cause any mental anguish for me to hear out-of-tune pianos or old
recordings that aren't at A=440, or pianos or guitars or whatever that are a
quarter- or half-step flat; I just recognize them as such.
    --David Nereson, RPT