Termites, was: (no subject)

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 14:21:40 -0400

Determine whether the infestation is active. Vacuum all frass from =
affected areas. Then observe over time (days, weeks, etc.). Do you see =
any new frass?=20

There are two good solutions. One is to move the piano to an insect =
control business that has a fumigation chamber for furniture. I have =
done that many times. The other is to junk the piano.

>From your description, it sounds like there is quite a bit of evidence =
of termite activity. Be aware that without fail, without exception, 110% =
of the time, there will be 10 to 100 times as much damage that you CAN'T =
see, compared to what you can see.

These people may want to get this piano OUT of their home ASAP!

By all means, tell them their piano either has, or has had termites. You =
won't know they are active until you either see a live one or you see =
new accumulations of frass.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Larry Fisher=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Thursday, October 28, 2004 11:20 AM
  Subject: (no subject)

  Hi all,

  I have a piano that has had an infestation of termites.  Close =
examination revealed small bore holes the size of a pin head most of =
which were plugged with termite pellets.  Speaking of which there were =
termite pellets in the action cavity and I found the screw blocks for =
the stack and the key frame were the affected areas.  I've vaccuumed the =
area thoroughly and saw wings shorter than carpenter ants would have =
amongst the debris.  Also there were partial remains of almost paper =
like debris stuck to the wood in areas near the largest eaten away area. =
 I'm assuming this is the start of their tent  ..........  like wasps =
would build a nest.  As I recall termites don't like being in the light =
and so they build outside tunnels to connect their neighborhoods =
together.

  I'm curious to know what to do about this.  The owners just moved here =
from Hawaii and I'd like to report back to them soon.

  Anyone have experience on this matter??

  larryf@pacifier.com

  Hope y'all are having a plush season.