over-all tuning discussions, was How we hear

ilex cameron ross i1ex@earthlink.net
Thu, 28 Oct 2004 00:55:20 -0400

Re: How we hear to JeneetahDavid Anderson -
Apologies if my original question sounded at all terse; didn't think about
it until I saw it in reply-mode. Please bear with me if you've already
covered this, as I'm sure I've probably missed some bits of this
conversation in places until recently. When you say "15 seconds" - could you
go into more detail? IE, are you listening for 15 seconds to the unison each
time you're moving the pin until it's in place, or is the 15 seconds the
final "test" listen? I've been thinking about this ever since I read it
while I'm on the job. When I started tuning, I had the original goal set by
my mentor/employer to get my time down to an hour every tuning, as we were
contracted with a school and often the only opportunity to tune a piano was
in the hour-long gap between classes. So, I've had to mathematically section
out my tunings at times, in fractions of an hour. If your 15-second method
takes you an hour and a half (which is my average "comfortable and pretty"
tuning time now, because I *can* take that option), how long do your unisons
take you, octaves, temperament, etc.? I raise this question out of curiosity
to anyone and everyone reading this. I've actually sat there with a watch
and timed my unisons, and I can get about 3 trichord *notes* (five to six
unisons) done in a minute, on a really good day.

Andre (if you catch this!) -
Am encouraged to hear of your tuning technique (where you explained you pull
with your body weight and actually *feel* the pin turning rather than "jerk"
or "bump" tuning). This is typically what I do, although I am far from
mastering a non-hard-strike-test-blow technique!

David Love -
Regarding your comments below, that first few seconds I think is more easily
described by what an even-slightly-out-of-tune unison sounds like. To me,
there is always an odd twang at the attack of the note, even when the unison
is just barely phasing. When it's perfectly clean - there's nothing but pure
tone there. On a *good* piano, that is! ;)

I am really getting into all of the feedback on this discussion! Already my
bass has taken on a new quality and consistency, as I've picked up others'
explanations and descriptions of bass tuning, and this whole topic of unison
hearing and pin-turning-and-setting techniques is great. I'll admit I
haven't been so good about reading books on tuning, but even with what I
have read, it's still very beneficial to get so many opinions and
descriptions real-time!

Does anyone want to open the floor for discussion on high treble???

Thanks again,
ilex