Soft blows (was How we hear)

Matthew Todd toddpianoworks@yahoo.com
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 11:39:49 -0700 (PDT)

Can we define our terms here briefly.

When I practice tuning, my instructor stresses to use a "hard test blow".  His hard test blow is an 'mf' (mezzo forte).  I am a trained pianist, and mezzo forte is not hard at all...but that is what he refers to it as.  If I should say to you play a 'hard test blow', it would have to be an 'ff' (fortissimo) or above.  For my very first tuning exam, one of the things I was tested for the loudness of my test blows.  I was told to hit my test blow an 'mf', which I did.  Then I found out it was not hard enough for my instructor.  I found out when he tells me to play a good 'mf' test blow, he really means a hard 'f' - 'ff' blow.  I understand what he means now, and I just go with it.

Matthew

Quentin Codevelle <quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr> wrote:
I asked my yam teacher who is a concert tech (of course) if he had enough stability with soft blows even with "heavy hands".
He told me there was no problem at all, like andre says, it is the tuning technique that seems to make the difference.

I went to a concert prep with him, I watched everything that was done to the piano, included tuning (with soft blows).
The unisons did not move during the concert (at least it was not noticeable).
Of course the D that was prepared for this concert was very stable, because it is exclusively serviced by the same tech.

Should we say that trusting our habit of making a final hard blow just to test the stability (taught by most tuning teachers, but not mine) reveals we have some improvements to do on our tuning technique?

for my case, I changed my tuning technique really early because I've been aware of this really early, but I imagine this must be difficult for experienced tuners who have been tuning with the same method for years.

I think it is difficult to get a regularity, eveness with this "way of tuning" but the result worths it.

Eveness in hitting the key+good tuning technique= Eveness in the tone .

This seems to be the right equation here.

Quentin.

Matthew Todd
Todd Piano Works
Piano Tuner/Technician