Soft blows (was How we hear)

Quentin Codevelle quentin.codevelle@tiscali.fr
Tue, 26 Oct 2004 20:04:45 +0200

I asked my yam teacher who is a concert tech (of course) if he had =
enough stability with soft blows even with "heavy hands".
He told me there was no problem at all, like andre says, it is the =
tuning technique that seems to make the difference.

I went to a concert prep with him, I watched everything that was done to =
the piano, included tuning (with soft blows).
The unisons did not move during the concert (at least it was not =
noticeable).
Of course the D that was prepared for this concert was very stable, =
because it is exclusively serviced by the same tech.

Should we say that trusting our habit of making a final hard blow just =
to test the stability (taught by most tuning teachers, but not mine) =
reveals we have some improvements to do on our tuning technique?

for my case, I changed my tuning technique really early because I've =
been aware of this really early, but I imagine this must be difficult =
for experienced tuners who have been tuning with the same method for =
years.

I think it is difficult to get a regularity, eveness with this "way of =
tuning" but the result worths it.

Eveness in hitting the key+good tuning technique=3D Eveness in the tone =
.

This seems to be the right equation here.

Quentin.