Cost of pianos (was Re: Stephen Birkett in the news)

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Mon, 25 Oct 2004 21:31:43 +0100

.......      "Well, at the moment I'd like to keep the ideas out of public,
if only
to avoid looking too stupid when they don't work. ".........

Hello Stephen,
For ideas you might look at a particular piano that was a "re-engineered"
piano that was around in the 70's. It had some very ingenious labour saving
ideas. The soundboard was a double skinned box that had a single ply panel
on either side of the ribs. This would make the soundboard much lighter and
stiffer. Because it was much stronger, there was no need for downbearing.
The bridge was very plain. No notching as it employed a pressure bar (one
continuous agraffe). The soundboard and bridge could be removed without
destringing. The pinblock slotted into flanges on the
frame......etc......etc.....

I shall leave it to others to ponder as to which brand this was.

What I would like to see in a piano is a stereo soundboard. seperate bass
and treble.

Just some thoughts

Alan Forsyth