(OT) Metric -

Sarah Fox sarah@graphic-fusion.com
Sat, 23 Oct 2004 13:14:03 -0400

Hi John,

I agree with you on most points (e.g. world view), but I would call the
Americas anything but bland.  Western American history may only go back a
few hundred years, but it's been a very action-packed and turbulent few
centuries, to say the least.  If one is only interested in our past, then
you're right that this is not a very rich part of the world.  However, ours
is not a culture of the past; it is a culture of the future, and it is our
pioneer spirit that makes our culture exciting!

It's in our blood.  Our ancestral population is comprised of people who
struck out boldly into the unknown, uncertain whether they would live or
die.  Part of this was fueled by adventure, part by a yearning for freedom
and space, and unfortunately part by greed and opportunism.  More recently,
we've had an influx of people from throughout the globe who felt unsafe
where they were, largely because they were different or refused to conform.
Our continued influx of immigrants is the very life blood of our American
Spirit!

So we are a population of nonconformists, individualists, weirdos, and
kooks.  We are a stubborn and determined lot.  We are fidgety, loud-mouthed
folks who move forward, rather than being content where we are.  We are the
inventors and risk takers, and we have a rich history of achieving the
impossible.  I could not be prouder to be an American, which is why it hurts
me so much to see what our government has become -- and to realize that it
never did achieve the idealistic visions of our founders.  I am horrified at
what we are doing, and I am fearful of where we are headed.  I am especially
fearful of my own future, as the few civil rights I once had are now being
suspended.  But I am still fiercely proud to be an American.  I will be
proud until the day I die, even it is necessary some day for me to flee this
country for my life, seeking refuge in one of the countless countries where
people enjoy more freedom and liberty.  And while I'll integrate well
wherever I may end up, and while I'll appreciate and respect the culture
there, I will always be an American at heart, and I will miss my country
deeply.

Yes, we have many strengths and weaknesses, virtues and foibles, but we are
anything but dull!  ;-)

Peace,
Sarah