Re-ribbing an olde board

Sat, 23 Oct 2004 18:42:07 +0100

Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:

>   Bernard
>   Now Bernard You know that strads live in little humidity sealed
> cocoons called cases. This preserves wood along time. Any upright such
> as stwys that are very closed up at least on the front side many times
> have preserved boards/crown that is truly remarkable.

????

What are we saying here.... that keeping the lid closed on a grand will
preserve the soundboard ?  That an important  reason the remaining
strads are still playable is because the wood have been placed (when not
played) in humidity sealed cases ?? When did they start inventing those ??

>   Also most strads I'm told have had there necks lengthened so as to
> be able to play at modern pitch levels in modern orchestras. What did
> they do with the old wood BTW.

Er...  the sound generating part of the violin is not the neck there Dale.

>   I've also heard that some of a strads belly wood is often replaced
> due to age & degradation.

No doubt, as with all instruments, at some point because of some reason
a serioius form of surgery is required to keep something up. Violins no
exception. Sooner or later the damned things will disintegrate no
doubt... That, however has nearly nothing to do with the discussion at
hand as far as I can see.

>  My point is that not all things are equal

Well... grin.. you got that right !

Cheers
RicB