sales tax and dealers

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Fri, 22 Oct 2004 09:16:59 -0600

Rick,
    There are variances state-by-state. In some cases, businesses and
institutions don't pay tax if they issue a "non-tax-certificate" to the
vendor. In some cases there may be tax on labor, but not on parts. In any
case, it may be necessary to supply a copy of your states' requirements in
order to get paid fairly. Most states have a pamphlet or flier that you can
use when you invoice the customer. A common problem is churches, where the
secretary may not be aware of state requirements, and will argue to death
about the charges. In those situations, you can sometimes make a "point" by
crossing off the tax, AND the institutional discount. Same for dealers. If
they return your payment with something crossed-off the invoice, re-bill
for the difference, include the tax code pamphlet, and add in your
re-invoice charge. (same as bad check). Supply the phone number for your
state tax and revenue department.
         We don't like to "burn bridges", but theft of you your labor due
to ignorance is no less costly than theft due to malice. The good thing is
that ignorance can be cured. It's part of our job.
If you are totally uncomfortable with the process, or wish to use a third
party, feel free to call me at 505-642-8640. I'll contact your tax and rev
dept.  and the dealer.
Have fun. If your accountant is correct, in your state, then you "win".
So.... do it with a smile.

Best Regards,
Guy Nichols, RPT
Chair, Trade Relations Committee, PTG