Metric - long opinion , from Canada

Carl Teplitski koko99@shaw.ca
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:06:15 -0500

I've been reading these posts re. metric for a while and the one item no
one
has touched on , is the way USA and Canada measure our roads. In Canada,

at least, most of the country is divided in square miles. If we go
completely metric,
I will be living exactly  1.375 Klm. from our local mall. ( so how far
is that ? )
Of course , how far exactly,  is a mile ??  Now, when we get out on the
highway,
it's a different story,  isn't it ??  For instance, when I get
directions from a client on
how to find his house in the country, where there are no numbers to
guide me, I 'm told
that I should drive thru 2 or 3 cross roads and his house is 2nd on the
right.  Hopefully,
he won't tell me to turn at the corner ," where the church used to be."
It's happened.!!
The other place where metric doesn't seem to do it for me is in
temperature.  We've
been doing this since, I think, 1980 and I still don't know how warm
+25C is, but I know
it's about 75 or so F. ( by the way , +28C is exactly 82F. )  I know
that at 32F water frezzes,
so it gives me something to feel.
I think metric is OK for some things, but not for others. I agree,that
100 pennies to a dollar
makes sense, as opposed to a measurement that comes from using 20 or 30
hands to tell us
how big a horse is.( how big are your hands ? )
In the final analysis, everything is relative, except maybe in science,
where specific measurements
are absolutely necessary. ( I think ? )

Carl / Winnipeg