Metric - was The answer from Yamaha

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Tue, 19 Oct 2004 13:27:02 -0700

The Seattle chapter was recently treated to a seminar given by Steinway's
Kent Webb at the local Sherman Clay. Great information -- and at the time I
was struck by measurements being uttered in 32ndths, thousandths, and mm all
in the same sentence!
  -----Original Message-----
  From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of Joe Garrett
  Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 12:24 PM
  To: pianotech
  Subject: Metric - was The answer from Yamaha

  Bernhard said: "And thatīs why it would be better to use world standard in
the future of a
  global market, also in the US."

  regards,

  Bernhard,
  Even tho, I have spoken out against Metric, many times, I agree with you.
However, until olde farts, like me, that were only taught "English Measure"
and "Machinist's Measure", (which is a decimal equivalent of English
Measure), pass on to the great Concert Hall in the sky, there will be this
controversy. Most schools, in the US, are now teaching Metric and soon the
problem will be solved. Many consumer goods, in the US are in Metric. Not
all, tho, so the problem still exists. I truly wish my brain could wrap
around the Metric concept, but it doesn't. Believe me, I try, on a daily
basis, to use Metric. It's an uphill battle! :-( The one area that brings
great amusement is the lumber industry. I don't think there will ever be
anything other than a 2x4, etc.<G>

  Best Regards,
  Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
  Captain, Tool Police