poxy on soundboards and seminar in Bruxelles

Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:08:42 +0100

antares wrote:

>     The Truth ???? ... I like pre 1985 or so Steinways (Hamburgs)
>     better then what I've seen come out since. D's C's, and B's all
>     seem to have taken a turn towards the nasal since about then. Dont
>     really know why... hear a lot of rumours.... but.
>
>     Also... Seems to me that at best... that assumed <<bloom>> period
>     is only good for a couple 2- 3 years anyways... by then the panel
>     has settled in for its long term and its that what ends up being
>     most important.
>

> In that case, you did not answer my question. you evade the truth, you
> deserve Nippon torture and I'll.......
> Just tell me again, with all the truth still existing in the deepest
> marrow of your left tiny toe :
> What do you like better .... a gorgeous 100 year old Steinway B, or a
> gorgeous 1984 Steinway B?

Ah... well... let me be more specific then... hehe.... I'd have to have
both pianoes in front of me before judging.  Generally speaking the 1984
will win out... but the very nicely preserved 1900 example that pops up
once in a while is a very very fine sounding instrument indeed... and at
that point terms like better and worse loose their meaning in favour of
terms like mellow, rich, full, sonorous....       etc.

None of which really addresses the point I brought up.... namely that I
do like the idea of  recrowning an old panel  by removing the old ribs
and rib crowing with new ones. I know I know... old wood, aged wood...
that whole discussion... but my ears like what it hears when this is
done, and they dont get that sound any place else... so what can I
say... Science just plain doesnt have all the answers yet... quite
probably because it has only stumbled upon a promile of a fraction of
the possible questions to ask in the first place.

My View, for whatever its worth.

Cheers
RicB