Vertical Damper Lift Rail

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:42:37 -0400

I repaired a vertical damper lift rail the other day. Typical thing =
where one of three little steel L-shaped hookies that pivots in a flange =
broke off. I just made the appointment to re-install the rail and the =
guy asked me what the charge was. I told him. He didn't sound happy at =
all. I am expecting..... shall we say a difference of opinions? My =
question (before I tell what my charge is/was) is how much time would =
you charge at your normal hourly rate for such a repair?

I'm in Florida and rates are pretty consistent here with most of the =
mid-west. I typically charge $60 an hour for on-site service work and =
$50 an hour for shop work. And I think I gave him a good deal =
actually.......

The piano is a recent model Kawai.

The tasks I had to do:
1 - diagnose problem (pretty fast on that one)
2 - remove action
3 - remove damper rail
4 - replace action
(I tuned the piano at this first visit - so no need to charge for a =
service call specifically to remove the damper rail.)
5 - repair rail (make new L-shaped pin, drill hole in rod, epoxy pin in =
place)
6 - service call to remove action, install rail, re-install action =
(25-mile round trip - I wasn't scheduled to go out that way for two =
weeks and the girl that plays the piano is active on the piano and so =
she wanted it back together ASAP - so this was a special service call to =
that area.)

Thanks for any input.

Terry Farrell