Epoxy on soundboards

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 21:55:09 EDT

List,

This has been quite an active question.  I am gone most of the day and  come
back and find dozens of comments.

I will try to fill in the blanks and answer the questions posed.

On the question of stability, I will not even try to explain that which I  do
not understand. However, when the new Fazioli dealer was opened in Chicago I
had an opportunity to have some conversations with Mr. Fazioli.  One
particular area of extensive attempted conversation (we were battling accent,
language and noise) was the finishing of his soundboards.  I was able to  gather in
a general sense that he uses a finishing material which significantly  reduces
the movement of moisture in his soundboards.  In conversations I  have had
with David Graham, who maintains these gems, he has told me of their  remarkable
stability.  Certainly we can't prevent moisture movement in wood  (I doubt
that would such a good idea anyway), but we can slow the rate and thus  flatten
out some of the swings the soundboard experiences.

All of the soundboards I have applied epoxy to have had crown, flat boards
get replaced.

I use System Three Epoxy.  The surface condition is usually pretty  rough
after drying and I sand it and coat it with lacquer and rub it out to a  satin
(usually) finish.

I have thought about coating the underside, but have never under taken this
task.  Maybe next time I will see if I can notice any appreciable  difference
(besides the extra time).

I have never warmed the epoxy to improve flow, but I think I will try that
the next time.

I have been debating with myself over the wisdom of using epoxy as a sealer
on a new soundboard.  Any thoughts on this?

I hope that helps some.

Andrew Remillard