Epoxy on soundboards

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 13:28:54 -0500

>Just because epoxy is "water proof" does not mean that it is "vapor proof".
>You may be able to raise the partial pressure, or slow transfer of water
>vapor, but eliminating it by coating wood is probably a futile endeavor.

But it's not a coating, it is a soaking, an infusion. If the surface wood
cells down to some depth are filled with epoxy, where will the water vapor
go? What structure in the wood will absorb it? Only the very inner cells
that the epoxy didn't fill will be able to absorb the water vapor if it
makes it that far.

Dean
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359
PianoRebuilders.com   812.235.5272