Epoxy on soundboards

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 05:42:33 -0700

Here's my real question:  If you dry down the panel and wedge it up,
then epoxy it and let it cure while the board is still in a dry state
and then allow it to take on moisture, will the panel crown a bit as it
takes on moisture?

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Ron Nossaman
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2004 9:31 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: Epoxy on soundboards

>Those of you who do the epoxy coating on soundboards to try and recoup
>stiffness.  I can't locate the article that appeared in the journal.
>After wedging the board up, was it necessary or desirable to dry the
>panel down before applying the epoxy coating?
>
>David Love

Well, I have done the epoxy thing once. Do I qualify? I'm not altogether

sure if it needs dried down or not. This procedure works by making the
top
surface of the panel less compressible, and the bending strength of a
beam
(which this essentially is) is determined more by the compression
resistance of the top than the tensile strength of the bottom (lower
surface of the ribs), as long as the tensile stress is lower than the
limit
the material will take. I would think It would  help to at least
pre-heat
the panel (moderately), which drives out some moisture and a lot of
expanding gasses, so the epoxy would be sucked deeper into the wood as
it
cools and the gasses remaining inside cooled and shrunk. Whatever it
takes
to get a good compression resistant top surface layer in the panel.

Ron N