Epoxy on soundboards

Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:38:42 +0100

Hi epoxy enthusiasts.

I gotta admit I am somewhat skeptical to this whole process... seems
like an awful lot of work to go to unless the results really prove out
to be worthwhile.  But I do have a few thoughts on the matter.
Supposedly this is supposed to increase the boards stiffness in the
sense that when it is loaded by the strings it will better resist being
flatened out... Essentially one thing this means is that this top coat
is somehow increasing  resistance to compression by the treated part of
the panel.  That being the case I would think more artificial crown at
application, and  open and receptive wood pores would be a desirable.
You would want as much as possible to sink into the wood. And I would
think that if the surface was pre-stressed, in this case put into
tension, then when the epoxy was dry and cured it would relax into an
even stronger state of resistance to  compression.

Wedging the board up and heating at the same time would accomplish just
that.  I'd think that pushing it pretty close to the panels tensil
limits and keeping it there until the the epoxy was cured would be a
good idea. But then I am just an egg when it comes to all this.

Cheers
RicB