dampers

Ed Carwithen edwithen@oregontrail.net
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 22:57:55 -0700

I am having trouble eliminating the after ring in the strings of a Kimball
upright.  I noticed a ring before I started work on it.  The bass strings
have now been removed and sent off for duplication so it can't be a problem
with bass overtones.  I have done regulation on the middle and treble, but
there is a significant ringing in the strings.  The non speaking sections of
the strings do have ribbon felt on them.  The dampers are in good shape and
seat well on the strings.  When the strings are depressed the dampers do
follow.  The pedal is not pressing the dampers off the strings.  I have
damped off all of the strings except one to try to isolate one note at a
time, but there is still ring.  I don't know what to try next.  Any
suggestions?

Ed Carwithen

John Day, OR