marking tuning pin holes for drilling.

Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:06:58 +0100

>> Rumor has it that the Steinway piano was originally designed that the
>> pin would ride against the plate.  Why not just install tuning pin
>> bushings when restringing a Steinway?  Except on some older models
>> where the tuning pin areas are countersunk, what's the reason not to?
>>

>> David Love

I doubt it was designed this way. At least I've never seen any sign that
Steinway ever actually drilled them this way. Goes against their whole
<<circle of sound>> sales pitch as well.

Tuning pin bushings get into the discussion of plate to pinblock
fitting, and personally I cant see any real reason for useing them or
not.  I keep having this sneaky feeling tho, that all pianos would be
better off without them.

Cheers
RicB