marking tuning pin holes for drilling.

Sun, 17 Oct 2004 18:03:04 +0100

Hi Calin

I have done 4 openface blocks over the years, not a huge amount of
experience, but... :)  I always make a trace of the origional block
before removal, noting any pins that are too close to one another, or
perhaps off line with agraffes or a good straight string line from the
bridge.  Marking the new block then after installation and fitting the
trace in place.  I always drill inside the piano, with the plate
installed.  I got in the habit of expoxying pin bushings (undrilled) in
place... with a very modest amount of expoxy on both the pinblock and
around the plate holes themselves) and drill both block and bushing in
one go.  Hand drill always, tho if i did more volume I'd set up a more
expensive rig for doing this kinda thing. Terry Farrel has one of the
fanciest I've seen pictures off, but Nossamans floating air cushioned
rig is a real cute idea as well.

Cheers
RicB