marking tuning pin holes for drilling.

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:32:32 -0600

At 10:38 PM 10/16/2004 -0500, you wrote:

>It sure does make the tuning squirrelly.  There's something else I'd call
>it, but.......like........I'm a lady.  ;-)    I'm wrestling with a piano
>that has exactly that problem.  The other causes of stiction I've dealt
>with successfully mostly by lubing some way or another.  But, since were
>talking right there at the pinblock, I haven't dared.  Any thoughts?  Yes,
>yes, I've already suggested that it goes in for a new block.
>
>Barbara Richmond

Barbara,
         The method I learned from Jamie Marks (appropriate last name)
before he moved away from here to manage the Mason plant has worked real
well for keeping the pin off the plate.
                 From a standard center-punch set, I pick the punch that
just barely flops around in the hole. I insert from  a slight angle like
the 5 degrees (+/-) of the pin in the block, and pull the punch towards the
front as I tap it for the mark. This actually puts the dimple just a hair
off center, and combined with the bore angle, the pins usually don't bind
at tension.
         At the plant, we get about 80-100 blocks out of one 9 dollar set
of punches. Your mileage may vary.

Have fun,
(230 times)
Guy