Downbearing - Setting with Loose Board

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Wed, 13 Oct 2004 08:19:04 -0700

davidlovepianos@comcast.net=20
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Farrell
Sent: Wednesday, October 13, 2004 8:05 AM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Downbearing - Setting with Loose Board
=20
I'd like to start a discussion on setting downbearing as part of
rebuilding a piano - specifically, what methods of clamping the
soundboard to the rim are used by those who plane their bridges for
appropriate downbearing prior to gluing the soundboard to the rim.
=20
Obviously one needs to have both the soundboard and the plate in the
case to set downbearing (bridge height). The problem arises (at least
for me) in the fact that the plate is in the way of easily/directly
clamping the soundboard to the rim (such that bridge height relative to
the plate will be accurately represented). I have used little wooden
wedges placed between the plate bottom and the soundboard top in the
past - and that seems to work - but I wonder if there is not a more
efficient/easier/faster way to do this.
=20
How do others approach this task?
=20