Yamaha M-450/Rick Ucci

Benny L. Tucker precisionpiano@alltel.net
Tue, 12 Oct 2004 20:42:19 -0400

Hi Rick;
    It's been a while since I've done any case work on a 450, however if my
memory serves me correctly, this model has a key strip separate from the
fallboard. Another good indication of this being out of adjustment would be
the hammer line, i.e., it will be as much off as the keys. To adjust the
keyslip, simply loosen the top round nut on the middle stud, and looking
straight down, you will want to turn the bottom round nut underneath the key
strip counter-clockwise so as to raise the middle of the key strip, then
re-tighten the top round nut. Hopefully this is what your problem is. One
other thing is to check carefully the key slip to make sure the key fronts
aren't touching it. If it is, it is easily shimmed. I would not hesitate to
file a warranty claim if neither of these solutions work.
Hope this helps.

Benny L. Tucker
Yamaha Factory Tuner
Precision Piano Tuning & Repair
Thomaston, Ga.

Greetings list,

Just went to tune a m-450, first after delivery tuning. Piano has been in
the home about two months. exposed to high humidity at times and now
dropping humidity(north east part of usa).

Keys look like 40 miles of bad road! Up and down all the way from 1-88. Key
height measured 64mm at #1 to 59mm on others.

I've schedualed a leveling for next week, has anyone got any insight or
experience with this ? This is most unusual for me to see this on a new
Yammy. In fact I've never seen it.

Thanks,

Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano