tuning lower notes

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 18:13:57 -0700

As my aural tuning improved back in the Day, I noticed that I was often
concentrating, in the low bass, on the fifth-tenth partial -- not to
eliminate that beat but to make it gradually slower as I descended. Now that
we use ETDs to do our listening, the danger is that we forget. Each piano
has its own deep bass flavor -- some of the upper partials are stronger, but
it varies by piano. It's extremely valuable to pay attention to what your
ears are telling you!

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]On
Behalf Of J Patrick Draine
Sent: Monday, October 11, 2004 3:40 PM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: tuning lower notes

On Oct 11, 2004, at 7:19 PM, Richard Brekne wrote:

> Get and read Rick Baldersins  "On Pitch".

As well as the PACE series on tuning by Michael Travis. The most recent
issue of the Piano Technicians Journal has a good article on bass
tuning as well (pp. 24-25). I don't know whether you're a member or not
-- if you aren't, at the very least you should subscribe to the
Journal. It's a fantastic bargain, and a very valuable resource for any
practicing technician.
That said -- yeah, sometimes there's a lot of "garbage" beating which
we have ignore, after we pay due attention to proper octave tests (6:3,
8:4, whatever), especially in spinets of less stellar brands
(American-Aeolian stencil pianos, etc.).

Best wishes,
Patrick Draine