Soundboard Installation - Clamping

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 09:37:29 -0500

>In the high treble along the belly rail, the belly rail is commonly not
>vertical, but rather angled a bit towards the pinblock at the upper edge
>where the soundboard to rim joint is. This presents a bit of a clamping
>challenge. I have used go-bars in these kinds of areas in the past, but
>would greatly prefer to use a clamp. Also, when gluing the board to a
>cut-off bar in the area where the cut-off overlaps the horizontal portion
>of the belly rail (and this can be quite wide on well-built pianos)
>presents an area where a traditional clamp cannot be used. Again, one can
>use the go-bar, but I wonder if some of the wonderfully invent-ful
>participants of this list haven't come up with some kind of
>ingenious/superior method of clamping in these areas.
>
>Ideas?
>
>Terry Farrell

When I'm having problems with my little 12" F clamps on the belly rail
undercut, I wedge an extension to the underside, as per the attachment,
with a caul on top of the panel (not shown). Actually, the wedges go the
other direction, but this was easier to show in a quick and dirty sketch.
Two or three little machinist's jacks would work just fine too, instead of
wedges. The cutoff bar, I do with go-bars (and a caul) if it needs to look
like the original on top, or a screwed down caul if it doesn't.

It may not slay the dragons, but is slows them down enough for me to keep up.

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: belly clamp.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 8494 bytes