Soundboard Installation - Clamping

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 07:20:46 -0600

Terry,
    If you clamp a piece of 4" steel "U" beam, or C-channel across the rim
directly above the belly rail, you'll have several options. You can get
double-duty out of your pin-block supports at this point, or use a truck
tire inner tube and air pressure. Medium-sized hand screws can be used
sometimes, also. Depends on the length of the screws, but real good for
dealing with odd angles. You can shape the ends of the hand screws for
holding cauls or blocks. Also handy for certain bridge repairs, if you move
the channel around. I had one years ago with four short-throw pneumatic
pistons mounted equidistant that I used for various clamping jobs. That,
though, was a little tricky. Those pistons could push ..... well.....
realllllly hard, if I wasn't careful. One neat thing was the valve. I used
an "always-on" push-button air valve, that could be used for a hammering
action. Real handy for veneering.

Just a couple of old-but-effective techniques.
"ingenious/superior"? .... naw.....
have fun,
Guy