damp-rack & steamer

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 17:47:39 -0700

Hello all!

After reading through all the replies to my question regarding "grand damper
felt removal", I fiddled around and came up with a couple cool ideas. The
first is a "compact" damper rack that hold all dampers easily and securely,
and has a built in stand so the damper wires won't touch the surface below.
The second is a great way to remove damper felt quickly, completely, and no
filing/sanding is required. I place as many as 30 or more (ALL if container
diameter is bigger) dampers in stew pot,  each row suspended by a couple
pieces of coat hanger wire. This leaves about 2-3" of space between the
bottom of the pot and the end of the damper wires. fill pot with about 2" of
water and heat just enough to create continual steam. cover pot and return
in 10-15 minutes....most if not all felts, including red backs will either
drop off or can be easily pulled off clean from the block! Please see the
attached pics. Try it, you'll like it!

Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: Richard Brekne <Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no>
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: grand damper felt removal
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:10:29 +0100

Hi Terry

You can make yourself a soaking tray. Basically a long tray with a line of
holes drilled down the center line to accept the damper wires. Of course the
center line needs to be raised a bit so your fluid doesnt just run out.. :)
Then just insert all your dampers into the tray in the same order they are
in the piano, add your soak fluid, and come back in a couple hours. You dont
need more then a 3-4 mm depth below the center line.

Lots of ways to construct one of these... use your imagination and you will
figure it out... or call Terry Farrel !! :)

Cheers
RicB