grand damper felt removal

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 15:45:20 -0700

Soaking the old damper felts off is probably the least traumatic way to
return the damper heads to the pre-glued state, assuming that the
original glue is "soakable", of course. If the piano is in for a rebuild
or a restringing, the water, surfactant and time do most of the work.
I'm between soaking trays at the moment but I have in mind to build one
out of thin plywood coated with epoxy.

Occasionally, there are situations in the field where you can't take the
time that the soaking method requires. If I pick up the dampers today
and reschedule for two weeks or so later to return and regulate, that is
sometimes too long for the owner to be without a working piano.

In that case, I'll arrange to replace the dampers in one visit. If the
customer has a shop or some area where I can set up and make a mess, I
remove the dampers to a rack and take the rack to the work area. There,
I can begin removing the old felt by clamping the first damper head
upsidedown in a block vise. Most of the felt is taken off with pliers,
knife, fingers - whatever way works the best. Then the rest comes off
using a Dremel motor with a sanding drum. I'll put on a pair of 3.25
diopter reading glasses so I can get my aging eyes closer to the work
and, with a light touch, I'll get down just to the bare wood.

While the cleaned head is still in the vise, I'll glue on the new felt
and place the finished damper head back in the rack to dry. Ready for
the second damper.

Tom Cole

ps: Joe - could we have a picture or two of your "system"?