grand damper felt removal

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 14:03:03 -0500

>Because our modern piano builders choose/chose to use glues that sped up
>production, but are next to impossible to remove with conventional means,
>(ie.heat, moisture, etc.), the only way I've found that works is brute
>force! First, I "peal" the majority of the felt off. Next, I go to my
>1"X42" vertical sander and SAND the remaining felt off, down to bare wood.
>The main problem with this, is that you have to be VERY accurate with this
>technique, else you'll have head surfaces that are not square with the sides.
>If someone can come up with something less traumatic, I definately would
>like to know what it is!
>Best Regards,
>Joe Garrett, R.P.T.

It depends. As many players and pump organs as I've rebuilt through the
years, I've needed to learn to scrape very hard glue off of very soft wood
without doing a lot of damage or spending all day doing it. Damper head in
vise, peeled as above, wire up, and a very sharp and frequently touched up
small Red Devil scraper does it for me. A couple of licks of the scraper on
a diamond grit whetstone (the ONLY way to fly, from the methods I've
tried), and it moves right along. It's still a touch thing, but a lot less
scary and potentially disastrous than a power sander.

Ron N