grand damper felt removal

Mark Dierauf pianotech@nhpianos.com
Sun, 10 Oct 2004 10:31:34 -0400

I clamp them in a vise one at a time, wire pointing up, and remove the
felt with a very sharp chisel. Watch that you're working in the
direction of the rising grain to avoid tearout. I find that I can easily
get down to a clean, flat surface without removing anything but felt &
glue in about 15 minutes.

- Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: pianolover 88 [mailto:pianolover88@hotmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, October 09, 2004 11:50 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: grand damper felt removal

replacing damper felts on a 1984 Yamaha G1. I would appreciate getting
feedback on the best way to remove the old felts. I normally would steam

them of or soak with hot water till they fall off. Then there is ungar
heat
gun, which is tricky; you dont want to burn the blocks. Another way i
suppose would be a razor blade between the felt and block, then follow
up
with filing off remaining glue/felt. Any tried and true favorites?

Terry Peterson

Check out Election 2004 for up-to-date election news, plus voter tools
and