Fermi, was average tuner income

jason kanter jkanter@rollingball.com
Thu, 7 Oct 2004 13:08:28 -0700

Many of you are probably familiar with Enrico Fermi's famous problem, "How
many piano tuners are there in Chicago?" - asked of physics engineers.
"Sometimes we must attempt to estimate important scientific and/or
engineering values based on scanty or apparently non-existent information.
Experimental science seeks its answers from Nature; but, before an
experiment can be designed, some idea/estimate of the parameter space
involved must already be in hand. We must make an initial guess. How do we
proceed? We use what we already know, of course. Most people could do far
more than they think if only they really knew how to use their heads. Enrico
Fermi, hailed by some as, “the last universal scientist,” had a unique way
of initiating his graduate students into this important discipline…
see http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/K-12/CoE/Fermi.mod_files/v3_document.htm
and
http://www.stthomas.edu/physics/Academics/111/Green%20Group%20Problems/Fermi
%20Problems/Fermi%20Piano%20Key.gif
for two versions of the Fermi problem and its solution. (the second link
above uses Twin Cities instead of Chicago).

In the various solutions to the problem, the engineers make the following
reasonable assumptions: 3 million people, 4 people per family, 1 piano for
every 5 families, therefore about 150,000 pianos in Chicago. Estimate that
each piano gets tuned an average of 1 time a year.
And they proceed to estimate how many tuners are required to service those
pianos thus: 4 to 5 tunings a day, 5 days a week, 50 weeks a year, therefore
about
1000 to 1250 tunings a year per tuner ...
therefore there are 120 to 150 tuners in Chicago.

For our purposes in looking at average income, this tallies with Dave
Porritt's rule of thumb that gross income is about 1,000 times your tuning
fee.

But do we actually average 1,000 to 1,250 tunings a year? I would have
thought less.

Jason Kanter . piano tuning regulation repair
jkanter@rollingball.com <mailto:jkanter@rollingball.com>  . cell 425 830
1561
serving the eastside and the san juans