Drill bit size for #1 gauge tuning pins

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Wed, 06 Oct 2004 16:50:52 -0500

>    Ron
>    By the way
>   Your thoughts & method on the capping rotary blocks makes a whole lot a
> farm boy sense. I'm gonna try it. A 2 3/8' pin is only going to end up
> with half its length in actual wood (well depending flange
> thickness)  Which means the portion  in the wood has about equal parts in
> botht he 15/32" & then delignit cap & rotary cut maple.. ahh very slick I
> get it.

You got it.

>what drill diameter does this set up like to bore at?

Depends on how tight you like 'em and what kind of climatic abuse they are
going to have to live with. I don't mind tight, and the climatic abuse is
pretty much a given here, so I pre-drilled an "A" (0.233", 5.92mm), and
final drilled an "F" (0.257", 6.52mm) for a 2/0 pin. It ought to tolerate a
6.6mm, or "G" ok, if you want somewhat lower final torque. I happened to
have an F on hand the first time, and thought it was OK, and would give me
some safety margin as it aged the first couple of years. I'll be tuning one
next month after the heat's on and it's dried out, and see how it's doing.
Then I can decide if they need to be that tight initially.

>   I'll send the leftover cash right away
>    Thanks
>   Dale

Bulk freight? I'm ready - got plenty of leftover buckets, and there's
always the bathtub.

Ron N