Rebuilding Decisions....

David Love davidlovepianos@comcast.net
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 07:26:23 -0700

Joe:

I often pull the pins even when not recapping.  A sanding down of the
bridge cap to just the bottom of the string cuts, renotching, and put in
new pins secured with epoxy to get rid of those old pins with string
cuts on the sides helps a lot to clean things up at that end of the
terminations.

David Love
davidlovepianos@comcast.net
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Joe Garrett
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 7:20 AM
To: pianotech
Subject: Re: Rebuilding Decisions....

Robin Hufford said: " would be to
pull the bridge pins and seat them in either epoxy or CA.  One should
try to
allow the material to flow out into the cracks."
NOT what I would recommend! Pulling the bridge pins is unnecessary,
usually causes damage to the bridge cap and is time consumingly
unnecessary. Refer to my epoxying technique of a few days ago, using a
soldering iron and epoxy! Sheesh! It's my opinion, that the only time to
pull bridge pins, is when you are going to recap. And, while I'm on the
subject....If the Bass Bridge needs capping...So Does the Treble!!!!!
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I