ethics question

richard.ucci@att.net richard.ucci@att.net
Tue, 05 Oct 2004 13:23:26 +0000

Barbara, It has been two years since I last tuned their piano, and my rate increased from $60 to $75.They were trying to get me to still tune for the old price even after they went to someone else.I considered that a real slap in the face.

RU

-------------- Original message from "Barbara Richmond" : --------------

Wait, do I understand that you just recently raised your rate, or did you raise your rate just for them?  If it's the latter, I would advise against playing games or being vindictive with folks.   I believe the financial incentive Alan was talking about, was something like a credit or discount toward future work depending on how many tunings were referred.

Barbara Richmond
----- Original Message -----
From: richard.ucci@att.net
To: Pianotech
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 7:54 AM
Subject: Re: ethics question

Alan, you are very right about that. I had a client call me back after going to another "tooner" (their teacher) and request a tuning. I gave them my current price which is $15 more than it was before and they balked. I said ,"That is my price, however I am booked for the next two weeks".They have not called back, but I don't care.

Rick Ucci/Ucci Piano

-------------- Original message from "Alan Forsyth" : --------------

It may very well be that the teacher has been given a financial incentive to refer customers, or may be involved personally with said tech. I myself wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. Remember it is likely your ego is being hurt more than anything else and not your wallet. There are plenty of other income earners within the piano tuner's world besides tuning. If those lost customers should ever need to call you in the future, it might just be very tempting to say that you are fully booked for the next ten years.

AF

and my goodness, almost two whole digests of Pianotech dedicated to beer........hic.......